Winter 2011 Magazine
A Season for Wishing
The holidays are a season when giving and helping those in need is uppermost in our minds. Even though the economy makes giving difficult for many this year, animals still need people who care. Their need never changes or goes away. In fact even more animals are in shelters and rescues now because their families can't afford to keep them. Some families have lost their home and moved to an apartment that won't allow animals. And military personnel are giving up their animals because of being deployed to war fronts. Animal shelters and rescues need your help now to provide for more animals until they find forever homes.
A monetary donation is always appreciated but if that isn't possible right now, here is a list of needs and wishes from various New Mexico animal groups. If your favorite group isn't included, call them and ask what you can do to help. It's the best investment in animals you can make.
Albuquerque Animal Welfare
8920 Lomas Blvd. NE, Albuquerque 87112 (Eastside),
11800 Sunset Gardens SW, Albuquerque 87105 (Westside)
(505) 768-1975 or 311
City of Albuquerque animal shelter
- Dog and cat toys (Kongs for dogs, washable toys for cats)
- Dog and cat treats
- New or used blankets (Must be washable)
- New or used bowls (Dishwasher safe)
Coronado Center, 6600 Menaul NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110
(next to Boot Barn and Kohl's)
Monday through Saturday 11:30 a.m.- 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 12:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Large blankets /quilts that can be folded several times to make the bedding softer.
- Cat/dog toys - these can be hard or soft
- Dog collars - any size. Collars with buckles on the end are preferred to those with snaps.
- Retractable leashes
Albuquerque Cat Action Team (A.C.A.T.)
PO Box 51683, Albuquerque, NM 87181-1683
- Gift certificates foster parents can use at: Petco, Petsmart, Pharmaca Integrative Pharmacy, Smith's, Walmart, Walgreen's, Vitamin Cottage, Uptown Cat Hospital
- Cat treats
- Cat toys
- Scratchers or posts (cardboard, carpet or sisal)
- Natural treats from PowerPawProducts.com
- Monetary donations
Animal Humane New Mexico (AHANM)
615 Virginia SE, Albuquerque 87108
A nonprofit dedicated to providing shelter and homes for lost and unwanted companion animals and to humane education.
- Canned dog and cat food
- Hot dogs, rawhide rolls and twists, meat-based dog treats (dehydrated chicken, jerky, liver)
- Non-clumping cat litter
- Potty pads for puppies
- Health and cleaning supplies (distilled water, hydrogen peroxide, Clorox, paper towels, exam gloves - all sizes - trash bags - heavy duty 55 gallon)
- Ferret hammocks (used in the cat condos)
- Pop-up tents (for adoption events)
- Cordless tools and batteries (currently using RYOBI 18 volt)
- Easy walk harnesses (all sizes)
- Kong toys (M & L)
- Vehicle donations
- Donations for the thrift store
3749-A Highway 14, Santa Fe 87508
Eldercare and hospice for dogs, horses and poultry.
- Dogs: High quality dog food (Wellness, California Natural)
- Horses: Equine Senior grain
- Poultry: Scratch grain
- General: Gift cards to Critters and Me, San Marcos Food Store and Home Depot
Lodestar Dog Ranch, 124 Gutierrez Canyon Road, Tijeras, NM 87059
Labrador Retriever rescue.
- Blankets, rugs and towels for crates. (Used ones are fine as long as they are washable.)
- Toys, bones, treats, tennis balls for foster pups in boarding
- Leashes, Collars, & Bowls
- Crates, kennels, puppy playpens
- Dog gates
- Dog food, canned or kibble
- Our biggest need always is volunteers - either one-time or regular - to walk dogs daily, transport dogs to other towns, help with vet appointments, photo shoots, etc.
New Mexico Animal Friends
P.O. Box 40189, Albuquerque 87196
Rescues homeless dogs and cats and provides temporary quality care for them in foster homes until permanent adoptive homes can be found; promotes animal welfare and spay/neuter.
- Foster homes
- Volunteers for adoption clinics and special events
- Flip video camera
- Donations to help with medical expenses
- Gift cards
- Cat & dog beds
- Cat & dog treats
- Cat & dog food - wet and dry
- Cat litter
- All sizes leashes, collars and harnesses for cats & dogs
- Life Stages collapsible cages for cats 24" x 18" x 21" (for adoption clinics)
- Compressed rawhide bones
- Jerky treats - duck, chicken
- Large dog house (Igloo)
New Mexico House Rabbit Society
Rabbit rescue, adoption, education
- 36" high Exercise pens with doors
- Clean bath towels - any color
- Clean large and x-large litter boxes
San Juan Animal League
P.O. Box 142, Farmington 87499-0142
Our primary goal is to alleviate suffering in the animal population within San Juan County. We advocate, encourage, and support spaying and neutering of dogs and cats.
- 2-5 new or gently used Tru-Catch live traps
- 36", 42", and 48" metal dog kennels
- New or gently used lap top with Microsoft Office
- Science Diet or IAMS puppy and kitten food (wet/dry)
- Gift cards in any amount for Target, PetCo, Wal-Mart, Staples, Home Depot, Office Max (to purchase home and foster supplies)
- Monetary donations to the Angel Fund (provides financial assistance for companion animal medical emergencies).
Santa Fe Animal Shelter and Humane Society
100 Caja del Rio Road, Santa Fe 87507
The Shelter accepts animals unconditionally and at no charge. All animals taken in by our Humane Society receive an unusually high degree of love and compassion while in residence.
- Dog and cat food (Purina brand preferred)
- Kitten food - wet (Purina brand preferred)
- Puppy food - wet and dry (Purina brand preferred)
- Small breed (small bites) dog food - Purina brand preferred)
- Sissel scratching post that hangs
- Kong toys - all sizes
- Peanut butter
- Durable, washable cat & dog toys
- Cat treats - soft and crunchy
- Paper bedding for rabbits
- Rabbit food
- Gerbil/hamster food
- Small toys for small critters
Sundance Ranch Feline Sanctuary Inc.
PO Box 5395, Clovis, NM 88102
Our mission is to prevent cruelty, abuse, neglect and exploitation of domestic and feral felines and to assure that their interests and well-being are fully, and humanely guaranteed by an aware and caring society.
- Travel carriers for cats (hard case not soft)
- Grooming brushes
- Feliway cartridges
- Cleaning supplies (Swiffer Wet Jet, paper towels, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, bleach, clothes dryer sheets)
- Cat items: furniture, treats, toys, litter, litter pans and litter deodorizer
- Gift cards to: Wal-Mart, Office Max, Lowe's, Petco and Petsmart
- Tent canopies (10 x 10 ft.)
- 8 ft. folding plastic tables
Magazine & Animal Lovers' Resource Guide
Check out the Latest issue of our informative Magazine and Animal Lovers' Resource Guide!
Receive the PETroglyphs Newsletter by email! Enter your email address in the box below to subscribe:
New Mexico Animal Resource Directory
A resource listing of New Mexico organizations involved in rescue, rehabilitation, and adoption of animals.
Regional Events and News
Annual Calendar of animal-related special days.
Pet Memorials honor an animal's life and/or celebrate an adoption into a forever home.
Wear it, carry it, or roll your mouse over it, we are offering you a new way to show off your PETroglyphs spirit.
Visit the PETroglyphs Cafe Press Store.
Friends & Fans
Make a donation to PETroglyphs - your support helps us to publish the magazine and website!
In addition to making a donation, there are other ways you can help PETroglyphs help the animals!
We Love our Supporters. Please support them whenever you have the opportunity!
Get The Scoop on the latest animal books! We've added a new review on 5/17/12.
Browse our Archives...
Read about local, state, national and international legislative efforts to promote animal welfare.
in the News!
Check us out in the News!
Support PETroglyphs when you surf the web!
Use GoodSearch to search the Internet.